Virginia1880-1900

Born in Missouri, Virginia Catherine Dryden moved to Los Angeles in 1880, at the age of three. As fate would have it—Virginia’s family set up residence near Joseph Winchester Robinson’s home. Robinson was the chairman of the Boston Dry Goods Store which eventually became J.W. Robinson’s retail stores.

Virginia1901-1920

Virginia married J.W. Robinson’s heir, Harry Winchester Robinson, in 1903; afterwhich, they embarked on a three year honeymoon to Europe, India, and Kashmir. When they returned, the newlyweds commissioned Virginia’s father, Nathaniel Dryden, to design their historic mansion on a plot of beautifully sloped land, originally owned by the founder of Beverly Hills, Mr. Burton, Green. After the completion of their stylish mansion, Virginia Robinson used her green thumb to create Beverly Hills’ most engaging public site.

Virginia1921-1980

Virginia Robinson was named chairwoman of the J.W. Robinson chain after the passing of her husband in 1932—holding the position for thirty years, until she resigned at 85. The estate became famous for hosting some of the most lavish celebrity parties in Los Angeles. Virginia Robinson bestowed her personal paradise to the County of Los Angeles, after passing away at the age of 99 (1976) —less than two months shy of her 100th birthday.

1981-1990Virginia

The Virginia Robinson Gardens estate is a part of the Department of Parks and Recreation. Together, with Friends of Robinson Gardens, they maintain the historical site, and carry on the traditions and living styles of the early twentieth century.

Virginia1991-Present

Mission Statement:

The purpose of the Virginia Robinson Gardens is to preserve and promote this historically significant first estate of Beverly Hills for the education and enjoyment of the general public.


When Virginia Robinson died in 1977 a few days before her 100th birthday, she was arguably one of the last grand dames of the Hollywood era. Never the less, she left her legendary home and gardens in serious disrepair. A leaky roof and a dangerous electrical system threatened the very survival of this cultural landmark.

This elegant and generous philanthropist had willed her six and a half acre estate to the County of Los Angeles, but the endowment was insufficient to rescue this historic treasure from slow but sure disintegration.

Los Angeles County Supervisor, Edmund G Edelman, recognized the estate's value as a window into the early history and lifestyle of Southern California, and set out to save it.

The Board of Supervisors placed the estate under the auspices of the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Gardens, and then turned to the community to help save the Robinson Estate.

Joan SelwynSupervisor Edelman called on Joan Selwyn, a leader in the arts community who also shared a love of gardens, to form an organization of community activists to support the restoration project. He proposed a partnership. Joan Selwyn would create an organization of civic leaders that would raise funds to restore the Estate to its former grandeur, while the County would run the day-to-day operation of the Gardens.

“The Friends of Robinson Gardens” was founded in 1982 with a Board of Directors and a general membership of over 75 committed women.

A great deal was accomplished in a short period of time. The Friends of Robinson Gardens raised enough money to begin crucial repairs, establish docent programs, and begin educational seminars. Coincidentally, Robinsons Department Store, originally known as the Boston Dry Goods Store in downtown Los Angeles and owned by Harry Robinson’s family, was celebrating its 100th anniversary. They generously sponsored the first gala, including a spectacular fashion show on a runway, that stretched across Mrs. Robinson’s pool. The lights of the Estate were blazing, and the benefit announced to the city that this historic landmark would be preserved for future generations.

A letter from President Reagan that year called the Friends of Robinson Gardens "a fine example of what can be accomplished through cooperation between the private and public sector," and congratulated the group on its significant accomplishments. Now twenty- nine years later, the Friends have restored all of the historic buildings on the property according to the strict standards set by the Department of Interior and the Friends are contributing one quarter of the Gardens annual operating budget. The Friends will also publish the first book about the history of Harry and Virginia Robinson. These continuing efforts will ensure that this cultural landmark will no longer be a hidden treasure ensconced in the hills above the famed Sunset Boulevard, but a nationally recognized landmark to be appreciated by all who visit.

© Virginia Robinson Gardens 2010
site design and development by: RMO Creative